Home » Temple Isaiah of Lafayette Optional Jordan Extension
MASADA & THE DEAD SEA / ART IN JERUSALEM Saturday, October 29, 2022
- Return to the hotel.
Overnight The Inbal, Jerusalem
PETRA: THE JEWEL IN THE JORDANIAN CROWN Sunday, October 30, 2022
- Check out
- Early transfer to Ben Gurion Airport’s domestic terminal followed by a short flight to the Eilat Ramon Airport.
- A transfer will bring you from the airport to the Yitzhak Rabin Border Crossing, where a representative will assist with passport procedures. After crossing into the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, you’ll be met by your local guide and driver.
- We’ll then drive north to Wadi Musa, near Petra. The journey will take about an hour and a half.
- Lunch at a local hotel/restaurant.
- A Wonder of the World: Explore the astonishing natural and man-made features of Petra, the ancient capital of the Nabataean empire, half-built, half-cut into rock. UNESCO considers Petra one of humanity’s most precious cultural possessions and has declared it a World Cultural Heritage Site. Despite being one of the world’s most famous archeological sites, the “City of Pink” still retains its mystery and its capacity to amaze. Our Petra experience will include:
- The Siq: From the 4th century BCE, the nomadic Nabataean tribes established a kingdom that stretched from present-day Saudi Arabia to Damascus. They chose Petra as their capital, in part because it was easy to defend. Every visitor had to approach Petra through this winding canyon, known as the Siq, which is surrounded by 200-meter-high walls of stone. We’ll take the same magical path and, along the way, see examples of how this area was also an ancient religious site.
- The Treasury: This breathtaking monument, which was featured in the film Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, is the most famous structure in Petra. It was the tomb of a Nabataean king and was carved out of iron-laden sandstone. It is called the Treasury because it is believed that the Egyptian Pharaoh, while pursuing his former Israelite slaves, buried his treasures here. Whether that happened or not, this tomb certainly reflects the fabulous wealth that the Nabataeans secured through trade and taxation.
- The Theater: This stunning theater was built by the Nabataeans, but when the Romans took over Petra (and the Nabatean Empire) in 106 CE they wasted no time in enlarging it. Carved out of the mountainside, around 8500 people (a third of Petra’s population) would gather here to watch performances.
- The Royal Tombs: Carved into the cliffs are more thrilling examples of the architectural brilliance of the Nabataeans. Among the highlights of these massive tombs are the colors and craftsmanship of the interior rock structures.
- Time to relax before dinner at the hotel.
Overnight Mövenpick Resort, Petra
Meals Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
WADI RUM Monday, October 31, 2022
- Check out and drive to Wadi Rum.
- The Soul of the Desert, the Valley of the Moon: An off-road ride in the bed of a pickup truck will provide a great way to experience the beauty and harshness of Jordan’s southern desert and to see Wadi Rum, a valley cut into sandstone and rock. Known as the “Valley of the Moon,” it indeed provides an otherworldly experience. We’ll see natural phenomenon as well as examples of the long human habitation in the region including:
- Rock paintings and temples created by the great Nabataean Empire. From the 4th century BCE, these nomadic tribes established a kingdom that stretched all the way from present-day Saudi Arabia to Damascus.
- Wadi Rum, with its wells and springs, also attracted the Romans, who ruled the region after the Nabataeans. We’ll see remains of the remarkable architecture they left.
- Perhaps the most famous modern fan of this area was T.E. Lawrence, the British army officer and writer who, more than anyone, brought Arab archaeological, political, and religious ideas to the West. He came to Wadi Rum while leading the Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire in 1917-1918. We’ll visit Lawrence’s Spring and see why this area was chosen as the spectacular setting for the film Lawrence of Arabia.
- Return to Israel via the Yitzhak Rabin Border Crossing. A transfer will bring you to the airport.
- Fly to Ben Gurion Airport, and then transfer to terminal 3 for your return flight to the USA.
UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN Tuesday, November 1, 2022
- Return to the USA.